2 ways to carry yarns in a stripe pattern when knitting in round

It's been an issue for me for quite some time. As much as I like knitting in round, knitting stripes in round is not much fun because of the strands of yarn you have to carry up or down the fabric. When the stripes are wide (about 10 rows) the way out is simple - cut the yarn and weave in hundreds of ends. But when the stripes are narrow (like Summer Breeze top I've made recently) you have to tame those yarns somehow.

So far I found 2 ways to carry yarns. None of them is perfect but still, something is better than nothing :-)

First way: Weave yarns between rows in a straight line, that is, bring yarns to the front in one row and bring them to the back in the next row. Below are pictures of right and wrong sides of the swatch. It's an easy way that yields a decent, almost invisible look. The only drawback is tension. Because you weave yarns in straight line they are not elastic at all and can make the "seam" too tight.


Second way. Weave yarns between rows in a wavy pattern, that is, bring yarns to the front in one row and to the back in the next row  but wrap them around a stitch. This way the fabric is elastic, the tension is ok, but the look is not perfect. Below are pictures of right and wrong sides of the swatch.


I hope this tip will help you make your knitting more comfortable and beautiful.

If my explanation is not clear enough, let me know and I'll make a video tutorial.

Happy knitting!

Comments