Easy and cute crochet coaster

This morning I made myself some tea in my favorite thermos-mug. Before I put the mug on my desk I was searching for a piece of paper to protect the desk from brown tea stains. And at this point I understood that this search-for-a-piece-of-paper thing happens to me every time I make tea. So I grabbed two balls of yarn and crocheted a small swirl-like coaster. Here's a picture of it:




If you want to make a similar coaster, take two colors of yarn (I used Knitca Woolly Warmth in Apple Green and Tangelo) and a crochet hook (I used 5mm (H)).

1. With color A make a loop. Single crochet 6 sts from the loop. Pull the yarn tail to close the hole.

2. Round 1: Take the hook out of the color A stitch. Attach color B to next st with slip stitch. With color B make another slip stitch into same stitch. Then make 2 single crochet sts into next st. Then make 2 double crochet sts in every st till you come to the abandoned st in color A.

3. Round 2: Take the hook out of the color B stitch and insert it into the abandoned color A stitch. Make 2 single crochet sts into first st, then 2 double crochet sts in every st till you come to the abandoned st.

4. Round 3: Take the hook out of the color A stitch and insert it into the abandoned color B stitch. *Make 2 double crochet sts into next st, then 1 double crochet into st after that*, repeat from * to * till you come to the abandoned st, then make 2 half double crochet sts from next st, 1 single crochet from each of the next 2 sts, 1 slip stitch from each of next 2 sts. Cut and fasten off the yarn.

5. Round 4: Insert the hook into the color A stitch. *Make 2 double crochet sts into next st, then 1 double crochet into st after that*, repeat from * to * till you come about 1/3 way from the end of the previous round. Then make 2 half double crochet sts in next st, 1 single crochet into each of the next 2 sts, 1 slip stitch into each of next 2 sts. Cut and fasten off the yarn.

6. Weave in loose ends.

Now relax and sip your tea or coffee :-)

Happy crocheting!


Comments